Wednesday, November 24, 2010

Rubrics, Clicker Assessments, Inspiration/Kidspiration

Technology based rubrics, unless I'm using the sites wrong, are basically rubrics that others made up and posted on a website.  It would appear that one of the websites is full, and is no longer accepting new rubrics.  If a teacher gets help on their lesson plan from websites like discovery kids, or united streaming, most of the lesson plans that are given on those websites along with the videos have rubrics that come along with them.  I wasn't sure I liked any of the website's posted rubrics on physical education, though it did give qualatative and quantatative rubrics for assignments or skill sets.  Maybe, these could be useful in determining on which set of skills the student/students need to most help on.  I'm not sure I really like it for grading in physical education as I personally see effort as a bigger part of grading than actual ability.  Some kids are more physically gifted than others, but improvement and effort, I think, would be a bigger portion for my classes.

The clicker assessment tools are absolutely amazing.  I definitely see the benefit in this for a classroom.  It's like a "Who Wants to be a Millionaire" right there in your classroom.  The benefit of this is everyone enjoys playing games, and if you can make a game out of this, then students are more engaged.  The more engaged your students are, the more they are learning.  I don't think i can use this in physical education however, unless really prodded to come up with a great idea.  However, off the top of my head I can think of nothing.

The inspiration/kidspiration software looks completely amazing as well.  This could be a great tool in just about every academic subject out there.  It's basically a brainstorming tool, which is extremely helpful for people like me who have trouble staying organized.  Keeping all of the thoughts that run through my head in an organized fashion is a very daunting task for anyone.  With the software it looks like brainstorming made easy.  However, once again, i don't see spending the money on this software for a physical education class.  If the school decided to purchase the software and mandated that it be used by every subject, once again, I'm sure I could come up with something, but I would only use it for maybe one week out of an entire year.  I just would see it as a misappropriation of funds. 

http://www.rubrician.com/physical.htm

http://school.discoveryeducation.com/schrockguide/assess.html

http://www.qwizdom.com/?gclid=CNLygeH3mpcCFQZqswodWV6D-g

http://www.inspiration.com/

4 comments:

  1. I really enjoyed reading your blog and your opinions on the clicker. I had thought about it more from the perspective of immediate anonymous surveys that would allow students to be honest about how they are doing with the lesson. However, you looked at it as interactive games. This is something I hadn't really thought of and I think it is a really good idea. This is also one of the main reasons that I really like looking at the blogs, it allows us to see how other people perceived the lessons.

    ReplyDelete
  2. When I first heard of clicker assessments tools the first thing I thought of was a whole class review before tests. They are def. a great way to engage students and to see students comprehension on certain aspects.
    Maria R.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think so too. Clickers are a great way to get the whole class involved, not just the first one to raise their hands!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi,

    I loved that you stated here that Inspiration Software can be used in just about every classroom subject! That's absolutely right! It's not just a writing or English tool; it's very versatile.

    While you're continuing your studies, check out our blog at www.inspiration.com/blog and our newest cloud computing program Webspiration Classroom service at www.inspiration.com/WebspirationClassroom.

    You may email me with any questions or comments at connect(at)inspiration.com or find me on our blog, Facebook or Twitter.

    Thanks for mentioning us!

    Sarah Cargill, Inspiration Software
    inspiration.com/blog
    facebook.com/InspirationSoftware
    twitter.com/InspirationSW

    ReplyDelete